Saturday, March 12, 2011

Need to know business?

I think so.

It’s the ‘ol right side of the brain (creative) vs. the left side (analytical) contest.  Can a creative photog/model/MUA etc. market themselves?  Sadly, I have seen the answer to that question is that most of the time, they cannot.  Ah ha! That’s where agents and managers appear – to help guide the “artist” to succeed.  (More on agents and managers later – that could be an entire book itself!)

My life has been a constant battle of my right and left sides of my brain trying to beat the other.  All the way through college and beyond, I was a musician. Yep, one of those band geeks learning to play trumpet in 3rd grade.  It caught on, I loved it and performed to the best of my abilities.  College came along and I went to VanderCook College of Music for my Bachelor’s of Music Education degree.  I think I excelled – Sophmore year I landed lead trumpet in the Jazz Band and continued to play gigs around Chicago, then taught High School for 5 years…

Left side took over when I needed more money to start a family and buy a home.  I got into sales and at around age 26 and became Rookie of the 1st Quarter at Toshiba.  I continued for the next 20 plus years in major accounts gaining customers such as Coca Cola in the Midwest as well as Rush Hospital.

During my sales career, I continued photography and eventually open my own Photography and Management company (Creative Images & Model Management) and helped many models with business.  I write this blog today in order NOT to pat myself on my back, but to give some credence to my blog entries regarding the business side.



More later…

No comments:

Post a Comment