Saturday, March 26, 2011

"Instant" Model - "NO TFP!"

I recently put up a casting call looking for some models (male and female) to shoot some fashion in the studio to benefit our portfolios.  This is commonly done with each party trading their time and skills and not being paid - images are the "paycheck".  Both photographers and models will do this to step outside the box and learn.

So a 26 year old model replied. Basically here were her "requirements" (which I call ignorant demands):

- I am looking for a great professional photographer to jump start my modeling career.
- travel to me, in Orland Park.
- if I have to travel to you, make sure you are within 20 minutes of Orland Park.
- I will waive my rates and you can pay me with images.
- Send me a link to your website so I can verify that you are a real professional.
- I must have a CD of ALL images immediately after the shoot.
- I will not sign a release.
- I must have at least 4 edited photos per look and location within 7 days of the shoot.

Oh brother!  Even new people in the business will look at these demands and scratch their heads.  This individual has no clue as to the business and how to try to start to become a model on any level.  Too bad the internet and some modeling pages have been an enabler to these newbie's.  Sure, open up a modeling page on a free site or social network, have a few pictures taken by GWC's (Guys With Camera), post your rates and sit back and wait for the $150,000 modeling contract. Yeah, that's how it works isn't it?

1 comment:

  1. WOW!... That is insane. Some of us have standards and don't let just anyone take our pictures. Call it dignity - I don't know. Haha. If you come into this industry expecting anything, you're in for a very rude awakening.

    ReplyDelete